homehercontact i believe

6.06.2016

it is better to be kind than to be right //

One of my favorite people ever from my mission in Oklahoma once told me after a long discussion of an offended member

“Sister Bailey, regardless, it is always better to be kind than to be right.”

And that has stuck with me ever since he uttered those wise words.

Yeah the situation wasn’t ideal and they stopped coming to church; however, someday they’ll remember and crave that sweet spirit the gospel brings. No matter what, I love them . . . even if it’s from a distance.

With my mission experience as a backdrop I hope I can elaborate more on this concept.

My mind moves 3,000 miles per hour.

I’m always thinking a million different thoughts. And maybe that’s why I have a hard time sitting still for too long.

I like to think I’m

A hard worker.
Passionate.
Smart.
Kind.
Loving.
Genuine.
Right . . .

I also realize that sometimes I may be kind of

Prideful.
Inconsiderate.
Mean.
Judgmental.
Hypocritical.
Loud.
Crazy.
Dramatic.
Emotional.

The list goes on and on but you get the idea.

Maybe it’s just me or maybe it’s our generation but it can be pretty hard for me to take criticism.
I want to be told that I’m right and that I’m great and special and beautiful.
It’s hard to hear that I’m too much to handle or too loud or too self-centered.
Whatever you make think about me could be right; or, it could be completely wrong.

Regardless

I do not know what goes on in your life every day.
I do not know the hard things in your life.
I do not know how you are really doing.

And maybe, just maybe, you do not know what is going on with me.

So how about we stop telling each other everything the other is doing wrong.
What if we just loved our friends, families, coworkers, neighbors . . .

Sorry, I just went all missionary on you.

But really.

I am perfectly aware that I do not always make the best decisions.
I am only twenty years old.
I know that’s not a completely valid excuse.

I also know that this life is about testing and trying and trials.
And I’m going to mess up sometimes.
I may not know all the answers to life’s questions.
I may not even know most of them.

But I do know these things for sure:

God is real
Prayer is real
Faith is real
The Savior is real
The Adversary is real
Happiness is real

And

The Atonement is real

We aren’t just given one chance, or two, or even three
We can always start again and try to be better

Remember that part about “enduring to the end”?
What about enjoying to the end?

And realizing that life comes with ups and downs
And sometimes you’ll get confused and overcomplicate things
I know I do

But when it comes down to it, what is really important?
For me, it’s family, God, the gospel, and finding your own happiness.

Another rant I often go on is that it’s important to be happy with yourself.

Yeah, sometimes you’re going to fall short.
I know that I expect too much of myself sometimes.
Then I get frustrated.
And sometimes I kind of just want to give up trying.

It’s just important to realize that you aren’t going to be perfect.
You’re going to mess up.
And you know what, you can keep on trying.

That’s all that He asks of us.

Just know that other people definitely bring happiness into your life.

My family brings me happiness.
My friends bring me happiness.

But it’s so important to me that I can be happy on my own.
I don’t have to rely on someone or something else in order to be happy.

And also, I’m learned that it is okay to be sad.
It’s okay to not be okay.
It’s okay to cry about it.

And at some point you just have to get over it and realize that the sun will come up tomorrow.

My new favorite phrase is “happy when it rains”

My point is simple. And I’ve found it true in my own life.

Happiness is a choice.
Your choice.
It’s your life and you can make it whatever you want it to be.
So work hard, be kind, be honest, realize that you don’t have to be right all the time, it’s not all about you; although, you should take care of yourself.

Lastly,

Love is always the answer.

That was cheesy.

Oh well.

I enjoy some classic sharp cheddar.

Don’t worry, be HAPPY.

And remember,

It’s better to be kind than to be right.


xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment